||Welcome to the Institute of Ecology and Botany!
The Institute of Botany of the Hungarian Academy
of Sciences (HAS) was established as part of a developing academic
research network on the 2nd of January, 1952, in Vácrátót, in the
castle park bequeathed by the Vigyázó family to the Academy, where
its intellectual ancestor, the Nature Conservation Park and Biological
Station of the Hungarian Natural History Museum operated earlier.
The mission of this new institute was to study botany in
a modern approach, and accordingly, a botanical research open to
practical problems and having an ecological approach from the beginning
has risen. In 1954 the castle park was developed to a botanical
garden. In 1977 the Danube Research Station of the HAS, which was
founded in 1957 to satisfy international research engagements, was
appended to the Institute as a department. With this act the scope
of research areas in ecology were widened, according to which the
name of the institute from 1984 on has been changed to Institute
of Ecology and Botany of the HAS.
The current mission of the Institute is to study
the different fields of ecology and botany both for
basic and applied sciences at international standards, and to reveal,
manage, develop and communicate knowledge in the above fields of
science on Hungary's flora; the maintenance, development
and exhibition of the Botanical Garden's collection, which forms
part of our national heritage and property, established in the castle
park bequeathed by Count Sándor Vigyázó to the HAS. Apart from the
above mentioned tasks, the staff of the Institute actively participate
in the gradual and postgradual professional and scientific education
in co-operation with several universities / Eötvös Loránd University
(ELTE), Szent István University (SZIE), University of Pécs (PTE),
University of Debrecen (KLTE), University of Horticulture and Food
The Hungarian Danube Research Station became independent as Institute of Danube Research, Hungarian Academy of Sciences from 1st Januray 2011.
Its new homepage is found under Links: www.mta-dki.hu
On the 1st of January 2011 four divisions were formed from the former staff of the Department of Plant Ecology:
The current structure of the Institute is seen here.